Monday, June 13, 2011


It was seven o'clock when the bus where I was riding in stopped in front of this corner. I was a bit tired, so I leaned my head against the window and closed my eyes. I opened them again as I heard a whistle on the outside. I quickly noticed that the bus had not moved for the entire time that I had closed my eyes. Have you ever closed your eyes for a while and opened them back again asking yourself if you've slept for a long time? That is what I felt.

I looked to the front of the bus and saw the driver screaming bad words out the bus door. Then I looked to my right and what did I see? Four glamorous, covered in feathers, dressed in bright jewellery, looking spectacular drag queens were dancing and chanting along the side of the bus. Wearing high heels they where almost as tall as the bus itself. Their dresses where bright red, dark red, bright green, and bright yellow respectively; in my head those were their names.
 
"Bright red", "dark red" and "bright yellow" moved their shoulders back and forth to the rhythm of a caribbean song that "bright green" beautifully sang. Finishing their performance "bright green" stepped on a yellow bollard on one leg and bent back the other. "Bright red" and "bright yellow" were on both sides of "bright green". They stood still looking at us with a sexy but dangerous look. Finally, "dark red" grabbed one of the signs and put a leg around it and smiled at us.
 
Most of the passengers stood from their chairs and looked at the performance. Some of them even clapped and whistled when it ended. We felt like we were in Rio at the great carnival!